If you’re hoping to grow an email list and monetize it, you’ve come to the right place.
Today, I’m going to teach you how to start a newsletter for free. It’s much easier than you may think, too.
With that said, there is a lot that goes into this. From choosing the right type of newsletter to actually growing your subscriber list and nurturing those valuable relationships. Of course, monetizing that newsletter is an entirely separate story.
Fortunately, I’m going to cover everything you need to know on this page. Specifically, I’m going to explain which type of newsletter you should start (and the pros and cons of each).
Before we get into all that, though, let’s take a step back. Why is this worth all the blood, sweat, and tears? Soon, you’ll understand why more and more people are looking to learn how to start a newsletter.
The Benefits Of Learning How to Start A Newsletter
At some point in every Digital Writer’s journey, the subject of “starting a newsletter” comes up.
- You have built your daily writing habit, and gotten in a cadence of Practicing In Public…
- You’ve started building an audience…
- You’ve begun gathering data on “what works” for that audience (topics, formats, etc.)…
- Your library of content is growing…
- You are accumulating attention for your work on social platforms…
Now, you decide, it’s time to launch a newsletter!
For a few big reasons:
- A newsletter will help you shift from a “rented” audience on social platforms to an “owned” audience (by capturing people’s emails and being able to communicate with them directly).
- A newsletter will deepen the relationship you have with your readers, giving your loyal subscribers “more” value than you might otherwise share on social media.
- A newsletter is a natural progression from shorter-form content (Tweets, Threads, LinkedIn posts, Medium articles, and Quora answers) to longer-form content.